Monday, September 23, 2013

The prodigal summer: On politics, religion and borderland identities

The journey of my summer 2013 cannot be simply described as having many tear-shedding frustrations and serendipitous encounters. From now on I accept that every journey will be blessed with lots of them.

What truly stand out to me in my entire journey from the Subcontinent of India to the Roof of the World of Tibet via the mountain country of Nepal and back to the basin of Sichuan, were the numerous people who extended their helping hands to me, known and unknown to me previously. To name a few, I think of my Chinese friends who hosted me when I missed my flight to Delhi in Hangzhou and Shanghai, of my professor Rob and his collaborators who arranged everything for me before I even arrived in India, of Arnab and Susmita who welcomed me in their homes in Delhi and showed me the Eternal Gandhi museum when I had to find a place to stay in Delhi because of the missed flight, of my FES classmate Divita who took me around Hyderabad, of people at the NGO Samuha in Northern Karnataka who brought me and my professors into the villages and the villagers who hosted us, of the staff and students at the ACARA social enterprises boot camp in Bangalore who let me participate in their courses, of the Green Path Hotel owner who gave me a free tour of his organic farm outside of Bangalore, of Mamta, Vishal, Sir Tandan, Oma and many more at the NGO Jagriti and my later translator Naresh in Kullu who broke their legs to help me accomplish my research and accommodate my requests, of every woman and man in the villages around Kullu who welcomed me into their kitchens, answered my relentless questions and served me overly-sweet milk tea and food, of the apple pickers and owners on the road side who gave me hugful of free fruits, of Aunt Susma who made me breakfast while staying in her guest house, of her son-in-law who gave me a free ride to meet my friend Hal close to Dharamshala, of a Tibetan-in-exile named Zheba in Mcleod Ganji who treated me ginger lemon honey tea and carried my suitcase to the bus station, of my never-before-met-but-known-through-the-youth-climate-network friend Rajesh in Kathmandu who hosted me, cooked breakfast and took me to see the major wonders of Kathmandu in one day on public vans, of the bus driver who helped me connect to another bus to the reach the border town of Tatopani, of the pupils on the bus who chatted with me and took me to a guest house, of a Nepali travel agent who in the next morning took me to the border check point from my hostel and carried my suitcase, of Yangyang a young Chinese working in the Tibetan/Napali tourism industry who took over the suitcase from the checkpoint on, helped me find a van back to Lhasa and brought me to taste the best yogurt, sweet tea and shows in Lhasa, of my remote relative and his friends who hosted me, cooked for me, used their “connections” to get me a ticket to the Potala Palace and waited in line for me to get my train ticket, and of my father who arranged things for me from afar and made sure he put money back into the credit card and of my boyfriend who had to listen to my frustrations and cries on the phone while being 16 hours of time zones apart... The list cannot possibly end and I am not sure how I would ever fully repay their generosities.

Traveling alone undeniably enhanced the chances of encountering memorable personalities, laughing and heartbroken stories, and making discoveries by accidents and sagacity. I had too much time to think over what just happened and what it all meant while traveling through one bumpy bus ride after another. But I had too little time to write it down, as whenever I did, I had to devote it to typing notes from interviews and/or writing a paper in collaboration with my college professor. But in this short note, I will jot down whatever enlightenments and discoveries I can remember throughout the journey.

On spiritual “perspectives”
What do you do when during one summer you came across people belonging to four different religious/spiritual practices, two of which told you their paths were the only ones to truth while the other two demonstrated their devotion by their relentless worshipping to their gods and Buddha? Learning and being open to different perspectives have been the mantra of my American education and underpinned my traveling and research endeavors all over the world. But what happens when these “perspectives” into truth are in irreconcilable contrast? All cultural-political-religious systems carry their own set of logics, metrics, and practices developed over thousands of years. No matter how they have advanced or protracted the societies, no matter how they have uplifted the spirits of the people or burned their bodies, there are people in either end of the hierarchy perpetuating the structure. Are there right and wrong perspectives? Is it rational for me to have my own judgment? Will I find peace following one or none? Or perhaps it is really possible to have my own belief system blending the good of others and good only? Understanding different perspectives seems to be both a blessing and a curse.

The followers of the Guru Swamiji in Kullu, many of which were the wandering souls of the 60s if you will, realized through the teachings of Swami that the reality is only the waking state and your true consciousness lies in your dreams and your mediation. You shall have peace by tapping into the true source of universal knowledge that is within yourself.  Swamiji saved them in the crumbling years of 60s and 70s and provided them a place in Kullu to seek their own peace (not possibly that of the world as they later realize) while giving them enough freedom to do what they need to do in life.

Then you have an American couple on the train who are such thank-God-there-is-FoxNews, Obama-is-a-curse-to-the-country, government-handout-is-bad, blacks-and-Indians-are-naturally-lazy and Jesus-love-you Christians from South Carolina. They were teaching English in Dongguan – the manufacturing capital of China before spending a fortune in Tibet for the 3rd time in 15 years. They admired China and Chinese people for being the most capitalist and hardworking. For them and if only I can believe too, humans came from one man and one woman. Following Jesus is the only path to truth. Only Jesus can decide who is to go up to Heaven or down Hell. They wish the Tibetan Buddhism devotees who impoverish themselves by kowtowing 10 thousand times and travel hundreds of miles on foot and over so as to have a better life can go to Heaven. “But you know it is not our choice. The path is controlled by God.” It was both frustrating and necessary to engage in such conversations, which both the old man and I could obviously feel. The man said we were from such different generations and it was important for us to know what the younger generations were thinking because we were the future. I wanted to know how the Republican/FoxNews discourses run through the thinking and languages of an ordinary man and woman.

On Tibet
I thought I could finally say a word or two about Tibet, now having traveled through the Tibetan communities on both sides of the Himalaya, from India to Nepal to Tibet. I have a few narratives from people and museums on both sides – far from enough to present a fuller picture. But this collection of what I saw and heard tells me that the reality is sometimes simpler and sometimes more complicated than either side presents.  I spent a night and a day in Dharamshala/McLeod Ganji, where the 14th Dalai Lama retreated and established the “Tibetan government in-exile.” McLeod Ganji is a small but rightfully touristy town set half way between Dharamshala at the bottom of mountain and the snow-capped peaks of the…The first night before Sunset, I stumbled into a Buddhist temple that hid itself into the forest down hill off the bustling streets of McLeod Ganji. A sign before the entrance into the temple said “monk residence, visitors entry with permission.” I strolled around the temple hoping to acquire such permission, until finally one monk saw me and approached me. I asked if I could still visit even it was so late. He gladly invited me into the temple, unlocked the gate into the inner hall, and told me the name of all the statues inside the temple. After a while he asked me where I was from. I was reminded of the warning my landlady’s son-in-law told me, that I should not tell people in McLeod Ganji that I was from China because 80% of the population was Tibetan. “Just pretend you were American.” But I have decided that if I were to seek meaningful conversations I shall be honest to begin with and so replied the monk, “Chengdu, Sichuan province.” He smiled at me, nodding his head.
“Are there a lot of Chinese visiting here?”
“Yes, sometimes.”
“Oh, that’s good to hear.”
“Chinese people, no problem. His Holiness said the Chinese people are good.”
A little bit surprised to hear this, I mumbled something I remember that did not make any sense to him perhaps – but basically something about the “yes it is big politics between the governments.”
As he took me to another hall to see Mandala made of sand by the monks, I asked when he came to India. He said more than 10 years ago and most of his families were still in China. “I do miss them but you can’t go back.”
The next morning I went to visit the main Buddhist temple and a small museum right next to it. I had earlier seen a piece of wall on a quite street that said “Evidence of Tibet being an independent country.” There was a picture of the Tibetan flag appearing on a 1934 National Geography magazine, next to two other countries, a photocopy of a Tibetan diplomat’s passport with stamps from several countries, and another picture showing the full government cabinet with a visiting British official.  In and outside of the Temple, I saw posters depicting the image of an eight-year boy – the Banchan Lama who was allegedly kidnapped and put under house arrest by the Chinese government about 16 years ago – with the demand to the Chinese government to return him to the Tibetan people. The museum, free of admission, presented a fuller story of the struggles of Tibetan people had been enduring ever since the communist party of the new China “invaded” Tibet in 1951. The narrative began in 1951, when right after China’s independence in 1949, the party sent an army to invade Tibet. The then 13th Dalai Lama, who had in the 1930s warned the Tibetan people about the imminent threat of the red ideology, organized a brave but eventually ineffective army with mainly volunteers to fight off the invading People’s Liberation Army.  Unable to defend themselves, the Tibetan government was force into signing the “peaceful liberation treaty” with the communist party. Since then, tens of thousands of Tibetans began escaping into Nepal and India, walking all the way with and without their families. Because life after 1951 did not seem to get better, more Tibetans ran away, until 1959, the 14th Dalai Lama and his government decided it was time for him to go. The presentations accused the Chinese mainly on the following accounts: 1) cultural assimilation, making Tibetans the minority of their own land, 2) destruction of important Tibetan temples and religious sites especially during the Cultural Revolution, 3) environmental degradation: cutting down Tibet’s trees and mining away its resources, 4) the kidnapping of the young 11th Banchan Lama and erecting another one, etc. One part of the exhibition made clear 2 demands: 1) make Tibet a true autonomy, 2) let the Dalai Lama return to Tibet.  His Holiness’s vision for the future of Tibet includes building it into a true democracy.
As an environmentalist and anthropologically inclined person, these accusations speak directly to me. But it is easy to see how these narratives also capture the imaginations of the western masses. But it is perhaps as one-sided as story made believe on the Chinese side, as I tell the story later.
 The next noon, having registered a two-hour yoga drop-in session for 2 pm, I went on another road in McLeod Ganji in search of the Tibet Hope Center whose names appeared on many posters around the city. I found this three-story dilapidated building behind the Hope Café. One young man was sitting on a chiar outside of the building and another woman was ruffling through bags of what seemed to me to be clothes and books. I asked the young man if he could give me an introduction of the Center and he explained that it was mainly a volunteer-run place to teach Tibetans English and other languages but right now they were moving to another close-by building. He asked if I was from Korea. I said no, “I am from Chengdu, China.” He then pointed me to the woman, “She can speak a little Chinese. I can’t.” The woman looked at me and said, “Yi Diandian (just a little).” Then another man, who always also helping move the furniture, came back by and asked “Are you from China? Where?” I told him again and also that I had been doing some research in Kullu, a close-by district. He then started speaking in Chinese and told me no Chinese dared to tell they were from the mainland here. He asked me to wait until they finished moving and then we could chat. I gladly agreed and offered to help move, under the drizzling rain. Later we sat down at Hope Café and both ordered ginger lemon honey tea because I was coming down with a soar throat due to the incessant rain in Dharamshala. I was not expecting to be sitting down with a Tibetan to have a real chat, although I had wanted somebody to tell me a more complicated story.

I realized how lucky I was to be walking the road that Zhebang could perhaps never return. The road from Tibet to India via Nepal was a one-way street for the runaway Tibetans.
We met again at a Tibetan restaurant. I ordered a Thupka (Tibetan soup noodle) made with my favorite sweet potato noodle. It turned out to be not enough for me. He surprisingly simply ordered fried momos. This time I learned that he was engaged, with a British woman. She was the daughter of the documentary director for whom he worked as a translator. They were going to get married in October and later he would go to England.  I congratulated on his engagement and told him I was truly happy for the new life ahead of you.
After dinner, he insisted on helping me carry my luggage to the bus station. We walked back to my hotel. He mounted the 15-kg suitcase onto his shoulder, and we walked to the bus station in the drizzling rain. It was the same rain that drizzled onto me when I first arrived in McLeod Ganji a day ago – when my hotel owner offered a 300-rupee balcony room and insisted on taking my suitcase for me as we walked to see his “house.” At that time I did not quite believe when he said he liked Chinese tourists as I told him where I was from. I was welcomed and sent off all so properly by both Indians and Tibetans living here.
Sitting in the bus with an Israeli tourist next to me and watching McLeod Ganji slipping away from me, I realized how the individuals could be so much greater than the mask called nationality they were wearing and how fragile politics was in front of open hearts.  

After a sleepless night on the bus, the passengers were dropped off on the road side of a place unknown to me. I shared a van with two other Danish students to the Delhi airport. The steaming but gently so morning heat replaced the damp and cold weather in McLeod Ganji. I could not wait to return to the grace of the Himalayan. By 6 pm that day, I had landed in the lavishly green valley of Kathmandu, Nepal. I made friends with a Nepalese student who about 2 months again responded to my email about a youth climate conference in Beijing. So now, probably for the first time in my life, I had a friend picking me up in a strange country. The next day Rajesh took me to the most famous Hindu and Tibetan Buddhist temples in Kathmandu.
            I have little to say about Tibetans in Nepal for the two nights I spent in Kathmandu. As far as my steps reached, there were Chinese tourists all over the place. For what I know, the great Buddha was born in Nepal. There are many important Buddhist temples in Nepal. Most of them seemed to be attended by Tibetan Buddhists. His Holiness’s pictures were everywhere to be seen in the temples. I saw Chinese tourists busy taking photos of the Buddha, together with His Holiness’ pictures. One tourist was asking directly in Chinese if she could take a picture of Dalai’s photo, and the monk replied in Chinese with a big smile on the face “yes please feel free.”
In a Nepalese-owned Tibetan crafts shop, I found the Tibetan flag – the same one that appeared in the 1934 National Geography and that in all the Free-Tibet demonstrations. I was told due to agreement with the Chinese government, the Tibetan flag with “free Tibet” on it was banned in Nepal. But the shop owner, as if he wanted to show me the best he got in his small shop, quietly proudly took out a “free Tibet” flag under the piles of hand-woven crafts. I thanked him for showing it to me but turned off the deal. But it seemed to me there was business to be made under the ban.
Nepal, sandwiched between China and India, is the most important passageway out for Tibetan refugees, either to stay in Nepal, go to India or elsewhere in the world. It was a few years ago when the border became more open for tourists, Chinese tourists. Since then,
I left Kathmandu after two nights’ stay with Rajesh. I rushed onto a local bus that would go to the direction of the border but require me to transfer.

... To be continued


No comments:

Post a Comment